As a former Senior Deputy District Attorney of Orange County prosecuting criminal cases for over 18 years I am elated that the voters of California passed Proposition 9 (aka Marsys Law) in 2008 adding The Crime Victims Bill of Rights to the California Constitution.
The Defendants are not the only ones who have rights. Crime Victims now have rights too! I have been committed to helping crime victims realize their rights throughout California in various criminal cases including
People v. John Gardner, representing the family of rape/murder victim Chelsea King in assuring that their rights were honored during the prosecution of John Gardner
People v. Andrew Gallo, representing the families of murder victims Major League Baseball pitcher Nick Adenhart, Cal State Fullerton Cheerleader Courtney Stewart and aspiring Sports Agent Henry Pearson along with seriously injured former Cal State Fullerton Baseball Star Jon Wilhite in the murder prosecution of Andrew Gallo
Since Marsys Law has been established I have legally represented crime victims in many ways, including but not limited to:
- Meeting with the prosecuting agency in discussing the victim’s position prior to criminal
charges being filed;
- Notifying victims prior to every court proceeding and appearing in court with them;
- Addressing the judge to present an argument on behalf of the victims regarding the
amount of bail which would be most appropriate;
- Objecting to any delays in the proceedings, including the defendant’s request to continue
- Presenting a victim-impact statement along with the victim which the judge is mandated to
consider prior to sentencing;
- Insuring that the victim’s voice is heard by the judge, the DA and the defense attorney in
the event that plea bargaining is occurring;
- Attending and arguing against parole release at an Inmate’s parole hearing.
Please feel free to contact me at any time to understand your Constitutional Rights as a crime victim. I have assisted numerous crime victims in their pursuit of justice and I am here to help you, too.